In a recent discussion, a friend wondered why Microsoft had opted not to include an HD-DVD drive in the recent update to the XBOX 360 console (the XBOX 360 Elite). The logic would seem obvious. In the US, 94% of Blu-Ray players sold are included as part of the PS3 game console. This has led to a situation where more Blu-Ray players are sold each month than HD-DVD players. By including an HD-DVD player in the XBOX 360, wouldn’t that help to provide the same push behind the HD-DVD format that Blu-Ray is currently experiencing from PS3 sales? Perhaps, but I can see a number of reasons for Microsoft to hold off on such a move. There is a lot of risk in Microsoft hitching its game console horse inextricably to one of the HD disc formats. Though Microsoft has made clear what disc format they would prefer, that’s different than taking economic risks to ensure it happens. A failure of the Blu-Ray format would negatively affect PS3 sales (though I would argue that the PS3’s failure as a game console is more dangerous, explained later). Why would Microsoft want to put itself in the same “all-or-nothing” bind by hitching… Read full this story
- The free Xbox One and Xbox 360 Games with Gold for October 2018
- Xbox Games With Gold September 2018 – Xbox One and 360 titles for download
- Xbox Games With Gold October 2018 – Xbox One and 360 titles for download SOON
- Xbox Games With Gold September 2018 Xbox One and 360 titles – which new games are available for download?
- Burger King are giving away a free Xbox Game Pass to customers
- Games with Gold September 2018: Xbox BIG News ahead of Major Nelson Free games reveal
- Millions of PC gamers are using this decade-old XBOX controller – here’s why
- Games with Gold October 2018 Xbox One NEWS: Major Nelson to reveal FREE games very soon
- Xbox One S Fortnite bundle now out with unique game skin and 2,000 V-Bucks
- Xbox Games with Gold October: Free games for next month announced
XBOX 360 and HD-DVD have 324 words, post on www.zdnet.com at April 11, 2007. This is cached page on CuBird. If you want remove this page, please contact us.