Cricket World Cup Unforgettables – Australia v South Africa, 1999 This has to be the greatest ever match played in a world cup. The two teams resumed their intense struggle against one another from just 5 days before when they had played out a close encounter in the Super Six stage of the tournament. Australia had prevailed on that day, beating the South Africans with just two balls to spare, helped in no mean terms by an unbeaten century from their tenacious captain Steve Waugh. That was also the match in which Gibbs dropped Waugh early on in his innings and supposedly induced the now famous “You just dropped the world cup, mate” comment from the Australian captain.Australia had a shaky start to their world cup campaign and came into the Super Six stage having to win all their matches in order to make it to the semifinals. They had lost their 2 initial group matches to both Pakistan and New Zealand. To make matters worse these two teams were Australia’s fellow qualifiers from their group. As a result Australia started off the Super Six stage with no points, knowing that nothing short of victory in all their remaining matches… Read full this story
- Sport and the arrival of big data analytics: In World Cup soccer too, statistics is now the third eye
- Rugby World Cup: Surprise package Italy, Japan's Kamaishi one of the 12 hosts, and other facts
- South Africans Are High On the World Cup
- Rugby: England must 'climb that Everest again' to win World Cup, says Woodward
- South Africa Becomes First African Country to Host BMW Driving Experience
- Prince Harry will head to Japan to attend Rugby World Cup final – will Meghan join him?
- World Cup 2010: Spain survive brutal final to become champions
- South Africa’s ‘Beast’ impatient to lock horns against England
- Ben Curry is excited to go watch his twin, Tom, in the World Cup final
- Jonny Wilkinson hails Eddie Jones' England as 'more complete' than 2003 World Cup winners
Cricket World Cup Unforgettables - Australia vs. South Africa 1999 have 323 words, post on ezinearticles.com at March 27, 2007. This is cached page on CuBird. If you want remove this page, please contact us.