If you burn gas, kerosene, or wood in your home to produce heat for cooking or warmth, you need to monitor the level of carbon monoxide. Carbon monoxide is odorless and can easily build up to dangerous levels. Ordinary carbon monoxide detectors don’t sound an alarm until certain levels of carbon monoxide accumulate in the air. New monitors show the amount of carbon dioxide in the air at any given time, so you can take action well before levels reach the danger zone. HOW CARBON MONOXIDE GETS INTO THE AIR IN YOUR HOME Carbon monoxide is the major toxic combustion by-product that is created when gas, kerosene, or wood is burned to produce heat for cooking or warmth. Other combustion by-products include formaldehyde, nitrogen dioxide, sulfur dioxide, hydrogen cyanide, nitric acid, and vapors from various organic chemicals. Carbon monoxide and other combustion by-products are produced when fuels do not burn completely. All fuel-burning appliances need air for the fuel to burn efficiently. When a generous supply of fresh air is available and the fuel is burning properly, there is little danger of poisoning. But when there is inadequate ventilation or the appliance is not operating properly, carbon monoxide is produced… Read full this story
- Four family members who survived Hurricane Laura die and one is on life support due to carbon monoxide poisoning from generator used to power their home on night of the storm
- Family of five dead from carbon monoxide poisoning after Hurricane Laura hit Louisiana
- Iowa couple who 'always welcomed people in' were killed by man they tried to help, family says
- 5th Lake Charles family member dies after being poisoned by generator fumes
- A Grandmother And Her Family Survived Hurricane Laura. Then Their Generator Killed Them.
- A Family Rode Out And Survived Hurricane Laura. Then Their Generator Killed Them.
- Hurricane Laura leaves over a dozen dead in southern US
- A Lake Charles family survived Laura's destruction. They died hours later from generator fumes.
- Six People Are Dead And Hundreds Of Thousands Are Without Power After Hurricane Laura Pummeled Louisiana
- Hurricane Laura leaves six dead in Louisiana but less damage than feared
Carbon Monoxide Can Be Deadly--Early Detection Monitors Make It Easy to Protect Your Family have 351 words, post on www.articlesfactory.com at April 6, 2005. This is cached page on CuBird. If you want remove this page, please contact us.